Saturday, March 27, 2010

Interviews: What I thought I knew.

So, first off my aunt questioned me as to whether or not I was actually doing homework since I kept giggling every few seconds while watching the course videos. She wasn't at all convinced that I was really doing homework. Her response? "Why are you having so much fun doing homework?" My response? "Because I am taking a really interesting class with a really cool professor. I think I have yet to convince her =P

The videos were really insightful about how I should conduct the interviews I plan on doing for the final project. Of course, certain things were common sense like knowing about your interviewee and being prepared with a list of questions. However, the positioning of the camera was "less intuitive" as the video suggested. The rule of the thirds for the head positioning really got me. I wouldn't have thought that it would be okay to cut a part of the forehead but not the chin. Interesting... I will make sure to incorporate these hints while I'm doing my interviews. I thought that I would conduct my interview with Iso at his jewelry store and use the counters as background. It wouldn't be too distracting but at the same time, not too plain. I need to get a tripod and I need to do it soon. That way I won't shake the camera.

As for the interview with the head priest of the Syrian church, I thought it would be appropriate to do it inside the church. I visioned that it would be more intimate if I sat with Mr. Aziz Hadodu in the pews and show both of us in the frames. But, now I'm not sure of that after I watched the interview tips videos. Give me some insight on this. Is it an absolute "no-no," or should I conduct the interview this way because I'm trying to give a certain feeling?

Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I have a little saying about composition conventions: "You don't have the right to break the rules until you understand the rules." So, since you know the rules... you can let your compositional goals "trope" your video as you see best.

    Here's some ideas on your proposal: can you get two cameras to shoot the interview from two angles? or can you shoot some parts of the interview twice - from different angles? Just a couple of thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea actually. I hadn't thought about that! Two camera thing will work great because that way I won't be a boring stagnant interview. I can cut to and from the interviewer to the interviewee. Cool! Thanks for the idea again!

    ReplyDelete